Whoa! We’re Citizens!

Hi Students and Families! I’m excited to be making my first, official blog post on our blog! We’ve had an amazing week and we are learning so many new things. We finished our study of the Solar System and I am proud to share with you our Alien Website: Alien Website
Please take some time to visit each child’s page and see all of their hard work. Finally, don’t forget to vote on which alien you would most like to have over for dinner.

Voting is actually something we’ve been learning about this week. Our new Social Studies unit focuses on what it means to be a citizen of Colchester, Vermont. We’ve talked about rights, responsibilities, rules, laws, taxes, and voting to make your voice heard. We even took an online class vote to see which reward the students wanted to work toward earning. You can see our results below. You may notice we have 22 students in our class, but only 20 chose to exercise their right to vote. Ask your child what affect this can have on our results.
We’ve also had some really good discussions about what we already know about Colchester, Vermont. Check out our virtual sticky note chart to see what the students came up with. We know we have some research to do about some of the things students mentioned, so be sure to check back to see how our sticky notes change.

Colchester – Our Community

~Ms. Copen